The purpose of Linux Mint is to produce a modern, elegant and comfortable operating system which is both powerful and easy to use. Linux Mint is one of the most popular desktop Linux distributions and used by millions of people.
Some of the reasons for the success of Linux Mint are:
- It works out of the box, with full multimedia support and is extremely easy to use.
- It’s both free of cost and open source.
- It’s community-driven. Users are encouraged to send feedback to the project so that their ideas can be used to improve Linux Mint.
- Based on Debian and Ubuntu, it provides about 30,000 packages and one of the best software managers.
- It’s safe and reliable. Thanks to a conservative approach to software updates, a unique Update Manager and the robustness of its Linux architecture, Linux Mint requires very little maintenance (no regressions, no antivirus, no anti-spyware…etc).
Linux Mint is the one of the first distributions that comes to mind when someone asks what distro they should try as a new user. The Mint team has done an excellent job of providing guidance and tools for new users to set up their system properly. The Welcome feature takes users through setting up important things like backups, installing drivers and running updates. They also include a nicely curated software center that helps you find useful applications.
The main edition of Linux Mint includes their own desktop environment, Cinnamon. The Cinnamon desktop provides a very familiar layout and is particularly easy to use. They also offer two additional options, MATE and Xfce. All three include the same tools so really it’s a matter of desktop preference.